We are specialized insert molding and overmolding
Benefit from our overmolding and insert molding services in China. Worldwide delivery. Cables and connectors molding, PCB, metal insert molding.
- Electric cable overmolding
- PCB overmolding (printed circuit boards)
- Insert molding
- Custom connector insert molding
Our Overmolding/Insert Molding Services:
- Connectors: Overmolded electric cables with connectors
- Grommets: Molding grommets and strain relief to electric cables
- Cable splits: Encapsulating split cables
- Insert molding metal contacts
- Molding magnetic connectors
- Insert molding pogo pins
Printed circuit overmolding is a very specific process. It requires experience and the right equipment.
Materials used: TPE, TPU, PP
What are insert molding and overmolding?
Insert molding and overmolding are special production processes. Briefly, we inject plastic over another material such as another plastic, metal or a printed circuit board. In this way, we obtain a faster assembly process. Moreover, the process is more cost-effective than gluing. As a result, the industry uses overmolding services widely in plastic parts design. Next, overmolding factories in china use this manufacturing process to make watertight and air tight assemblies for electronics and electric cables.
Over-molding is categorized into 3 types: insert molding, overmolding and co-injection molding.
Insert molding explained.
Insert molding is a process which requires an insert, typically made of metal. The inserts are most likely brass components with internal thread, in order to connect 2 parts with screws. Also, to make connectors, we overmold the connector pins. Next, we place this insert in the tool to let the plastic flow around it. Encapsulating the insert with plastic creates a single molded plastic piece that’s generally stronger than one created using secondary assembly.
Insert molding mostly happens through manual insert loading. In other words, the operator places the metal part manually into the cavity in the mold. As a result, this is generally a more cost-effective way to manufacture low-volume applications or complex parts. However, automated insert molding is a better choice for part consistency. It minimizes human error, improves efficiencies, and ensures optimal cycle times. On the other hand, automation of this overmolding process involves more complexity in the mold and feeding system.
Advantages of insert molding.
Other key cost and design benefits of insert molding include:
- Elimination of secondary assembly operations such as snap fits, gluing, and the use of screws or fasteners.
- Reduction in the number of required parts and streamlined logistics around part tracking, shipping and supplier consolidation.
- Integration of design features not which are not possible by using a single material.
- With threaded inserts we obtain a stronger screw connection, which can be re-used many times.
Insert molding is appropriate for a wide range of applications. Thus, it is used for couplings, knobs with threaded fasteners and filters. As well as complex electrical components and specific solutions Davantech developed for its customers.
Overmolding or Two-shot molding:
Overmolding is a process which results in a seamless combination of multiple materials into a single part or product. In addition, it typically includes a rigid plastic base component encapsulated by a soft thermoplastic elastomer. Usually, this soft plastic is TPE or TPR. Overmolding adds value in several ways. In addition, it lowers production costs. Especially when we do the overmolding in China. As a result the advantages of using overmolding are numerous:
- It results in a soft anti slip grip that prevents dropping and at the same time it functions as a shock barrier to maximize product life.
- We create visually attractive surfaces and branded color schemes that increase shelf appeal. In this way a nicer design provides a competitive advantage.
- Overmolding reduces the number of required manufacturing steps and associated costs.
- We use overmolding to create watertight assemblies without using seals.
Which products use overmolding?
Our overmolding services in China are extremely versatile. Common household items such as hand tools, tooth brushes and razors may have overmolded handles for better grip. In addition, overmolding may also be used to bond gaskets or seals to a plastic cover. But also in the manufacturing of electric cables it is used to in-mold metal contacts and gromets. At Davantech, we are specialised in overmolded PCB’s, sensor inmolding and metal overmolding.
Insert molding and overmolding are somewhat similar yet distinctly different forms of multi-material injection molding. It is important to talk to experts like Davantech in advance. In this ways your product design will have the best outcome for manufacturing your product in a cost efficient way.
At Davantech, we control the overmolding technique very well. Here is what we can do for you:
- We do injection of plastic around a metal contact to make connectors or terminal blocks.
- Injection of soft plastic around an electric cable to make cable splits, connectors and grommets.
- We inject plastic around printed circuit boards to make encapsulated or watertight electronics.
- Overmolding of soft or hard plastic over metal parts to make a solid assembly between metal and plastic.
Electrical cables overmolding: molded connectors.
During production of overmolded cables and connector overmolding we encapsulate the wires and soldered or shrinked metal contacts with plastic. This plastic can be softer TPE or TPR. However we also inject PP and other hard plastics around connector pins as well. We us our vertical injection machines of 20, 25 and 45 tons for this injection molding process.
All electric cables, molded connectors and overmolded printed cirquit boards are tested one by one before packaging. We strive to zero defects !
Plastic to metal injection molding.
Some metal and plastic parts require a solid assembling. Therefore it can be a benefit to for a plastic shape onto a metal part. Soft as well as hard plastic can be molded. This technique will ensure a tolerance free assembly where the 2 components cant move or rotate.
When co-injection molding, we inject the hard substrate and the elastomer into the same mold. Therefore, it is essential that 2 materials are compatible compatibility and it must be carefully controlled.
Co-Injection is very expensive and difficult to control. Less products use co-injection molding compared to the other two methods. In addition, we inject the hard and soft plastics together in a fully molten state. Therefore, it provides the best bonding between soft and hard parts, the molded parts quality is also the best.
Have your products made in China at a factory like Davantech. Send us an email with your requirements. We will assist you through the process of our overmolding services.