PCB Overmolding: A Comprehensive Guide for Your Electronic Devices
The printed circuit board overmolding is a delicate injection molding process but it has several advantages. Let a professional factory like Davantech do the job for you.
- Watertight electronic assembly
- Overmolded sensors: temperature, humidity, capacitive
- Mold manufacturing and overmolding services
- Engineering support
Benefits of PCB Overmolding
- Protection: The most significant advantage of PCB overmolding is protection. The plastic material used in overmolding provides a barrier against moisture, dust, and other environmental factors that can damage the PCB and its components.
- Durability: Overmolded Printed circuits also have increased durability of the assembly. The plastic material used in the process is strong and can withstand the wear and tear of daily use.
- Improved Functionality: Overmolding can also improve the functionality of the assembly. By encapsulating the components, overmolding can provide better grip and handling for the device.
- Cost-Effective: PCB overmolding is a cost-effective solution for manufacturers. It eliminates the need for additional enclosures, reducing both cost and assembly time.
Overmolded printed circuit boards.
The simplest way is to overmold a printed circuit board with a layer of soft TPE or TPU. In this case, the product is ready in one molding cycle. Typical products are humidity and temperature sensors soldered onto a circuit board with attached cable. We also encapsulate capacitive sensors with a layer of plastic. For other products we injection overmold the PCB, or a part of it in a shell of hard plastic and then do a partial or full overmolding. For example, when overmolding printed circuit boards with moving components such as a vibrator, we need to leave space around the component in order to let it move. Another example are batteries. It is important not to bring the molten plastic in direct contact with a battery to avoid damage due to the high temperature. Also, LED strings require a transparent shell made of polycarbonate which is overmolded partially to obtain a sealed assembly.
In conclusion, PCB overmolding is a crucial process in the electronic manufacturing industry. It provides protection, durability, improved functionality and cost-effectiveness for a wide range of applications. If you are looking for a reliable and cost-effective solution for your electronic devices, consider PCB overmolding.